Parent support and involvement are critical to student success.

Any student who is interested in Edison Academy must first speak with his/her high school counselor. Registration is required at the student’s home high school prior to beginning at Edison Academy. The Guidance Department will provide enrollment materials and information as well as a contract for the student/parent to consider and sign.

Parent Interview

Once the student is accepted into the program through administrative approval, the student's parents/guardian will be contacted for a meeting with the Edison Academy teacher from his/her home school. It is strongly recommended that a parent attend this initial meeting with the student. At the meeting, the Edison Academy teacher will give an overview of the program and forms to complete. These forms must be returned within 1 week of start date.


If you or your family lives in any of the following situations:

  • In a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground
  • On the street
  • In an abandoned building, trailer, or other inadequate accommodations
  • Doubled up with friends or relatives because you cannot find or afford housing,

Then, you and your children have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act. Contact your school principal, guidance counselor, or the district’s liaison for homeless education for more information.

When you move, you should do the following:

  • Contact the school district’s local liaison for homeless education at 563/ 359-9375 or the Superintendent’s Administrative Assistant at 563/ 359-3681 (see more information below). These individuals can help you enroll your child in a new school or arrange for your child to continue in his or her former school. Or, someone at a shelter, social services office, or the school can direct you to the person you need to contact.
  • Contact the school and provide any information you think will assist the teachers in helping your child adjust to new circumstances.
  • Ask the local liaison for homeless education, school counselor, shelter provider, or social worker for assistance with clothing and supplies if needed.

Local Contact: Student Services Director or Superintendent’s Administrative Assistant Phone: (563) 359-9375 or (563) 359-3681 e-mail: or

If you need further assistance, call the National Center for Homeless Education at the toll-free Helpline number: 1-800-308-2145